The Dignity of Identity: Do Opinions Really Matter?
The Dignity of Identity: Do Opinions Really Matter?
Mia Copeman-Hill
19/10/2020
Ever since the massive social
media platform, TikTok, gained major popularity over the course of 2019-2020,
new trends and fashion styles have come into play. Although the increase of
popularity over multiple already existing or new goods is deemed a good thing, it
has also caused arising unease between many people. Apparently, if you don’t
follow the trends, you are immediately “uncool” or “unpopular” but if you do
follow the trends you are “trying to be cool” or “annoying and obsessed.” Although
it may be hard to restrict yourself from “following the leader” it is important
for an individual to express their true identities, not the ones people force
you to be.
As we have grown up
multiple trends have been and gone ranging from the loom bands faze in primary
school to the “vsco girl” trend in high school. In primary school, I remember everyone
buying loom bands. They would bring in their latest creations and debate over
whose was better. I desperately wanted a set, mainly because everyone had one. I
remember my sisters birthday, guess what! Her friend got her a loom band set,
and she didn’t want to share it. This was torture for me, watching her make
rainbow bracelets, rings, necklaces, even tiny little loom band animals. I was distraught
as more and more people brought in their creations to school. Finally, after
waiting for what seemed like forever, the day came, and mum decided to take me
to Mr Toys Toyworld to get me my own loom band set. I was ecstatic as we walked
in the door and asked the man where the sets were, but he told us, and I will
never forget it, that they were out of stock…
I eventually did get
the loom band set I had been longing for in the end but thinking about how
desperate I was to get the set and fit in with my friends I realise that it
wasn’t that important after all. Although at first, I didn’t own loom bands for
a while, people didn’t judge me or bully me for not owning this trendy new toy.
But this may be purely because we were young and all got along, oblivious to
the fact that people get bullied daily for not keeping up with trends. This
type of bullying is purely based on the needing and wanting to be called “cool”
or “popular.” And, although schools are busy trying to manage other types of bullying
such as broken friendships or pure cruelty, I believe that it is still
important to recognize this type of bullying as it is actually more common than
is thought to be.
The Guardian states that the most common type of bullying directed
towards boys is violence whereas towards girls it is social exclusion. Being
socially excluded for something as little as not following a trend that let’s
face it, will only be popular for a minimum or 4-6 months to a year does not
need to exist. It is important to understand that everyone has their own
identity and personality. It is up to them and only them whether to keep up
with the trends or continue along their own path of how they express
themselves. Bullying a person only because of their social identity is terrible
and can damage how a person thinks of themselves. This type of bullying may not
be found in some places or schools and at my time at MSM I have not seen or
heard about anyone being bullied purely because of how they express themselves
but it is still important to think about and be aware of.
If you hear anything
about a fellow peer, friend or person being judged because of their identity do
something about it (tell a teacher, tell the judger to stop, console the person
being judged).
Or, read this about different
types of a person’s identity that are most common to be bullied for:
https://www.edutopia.org/article/what-is-identity-based-bullying-jinnie-spiegler

* I liked how you related to current trends and gave examples (e.g. TikTok)
ReplyDelete* You gave advice at the end as a sort of call to action which i thought was helpful
Don't forget to link to Human Dignity